Women’s History Month Highlight: Anna Bates
For Women’s History Month, the BYU MOA wanted to highlight the incredible women who work inside the museum. Let us introduce you to Anna Bates, Designer.
- How long have you worked at the MOA?
- What is your favorite part about your job?
I love that design can create subtle moods and influence people through type, colours and spaces.
- What has been your favorite exhibit at the MOA?
I really liked Reality Reorganized, and currently Tiffany Glass.
- What’s one challenging aspect of your job?
Picking the appropriate paint colour for the galleries. The colour always changes after they start painting and you panic for days thinking you’ve made a huge mistake.
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
An architect, then interior designer, then industrial/textile designer. I landed on graphic and exhibition design.
- What types of cool opportunities has the MOA given you?
I have been able to travel to other museums, which has been amazing, I have grown immensely as a designer, and I work with an astounding group of people who inspire me.
- Where is your favorite place you’ve traveled?
- What women do you most look up to/ are inspired by in your life?
My mother. She can do anything and better than most. I am inspired by working artists and designers that I follow sporadically through Instagram that make their careers and family work together.
- How do you stay motivated?
Read design magazines, peruse designs on Pinterest, and travelling to new places always helps.
- What are some of your hobbies?
Watching TV (Let’s be honest, as much as I want to say reading…), going out to restaurants and places with my husband and son, making my house clean and fresh ie cleaning and redesigning/organizing.
- What advise would you give students?
Take as many jobs/ opportunities as you can.
- If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would you choose
- Who is your favorite artist/what is your favorite artwork?
I was always inspired by Josef and Anni Albers. Both great designers and colour theorists. I could never pick one favourite piece of art or artist though!
- If you weren’t at your current job, what would you want to do?
Designing at another museum.